Thursday 2 October 2014

Connecting TalkTalk mobile data using a Nexus 4

Summary: Take the sim card out; boot with no sim, or a different sim; reinsert the TalkTalk sim.

I just restored my Nexus 4 Kitkat android to factory settings because it was going very slowly and I thought that might help (it did by the way).  Anyway when I tried to reconnect to my TalkTalk mobile data again it wouldn't connect.  I did not receive any of the configuration messages that TalkTalk tried to send me.  I checked the APN settings manually and I definately had the right settings, but still it wouldn't connect.  I rebooted after making the changes.  Still no joy.  Then I thought I'd check against another phone: it had exactly the same settings, so I thought it might be the phone so I swapped sims, and then both of them connected to data!  I then swapped the sims back and they both still connected!

It may have worked if I had just removed the sim and booted like that, then turned it off again, inserted the sim and then rebooted again.

Anyway, very pleased to finally get it going again.

No comments: