Monday 4 March 2013

PS3 Superslim 12G to 500G upgrade

I bought a 12G PS3 Superslim because it is cheap, but I wanted to upgrade it to a 500G PS3 because that's loads of space for lots of games.  On Amazon the 12G version is currently £149, but the 500G version is £229.  That's £80 for an HDD.

So here's what I used to do the upgrade: 
1 OFF Sony PlayStation 3 Replacement Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Mounting Bracket (£8.10 Amazon)
1 OFF 500GB SATA 2.5" 5400rpm 8MB cache HDD (£43.00 Amazon)

That's a saving of nearly £30.

I used the official HDD mounting because I don't want my new PS3 to be klunky.  I bought a Seagate Momentus HDD because it said on the Amazon web page it was PS3 compatible and it is.

The mounting comes with instructions on how to open the HDD drive slot and fit the new HDD and even comes with the screws.  

This video show you how to open the PS3.

But this video is the same guy's video with him successfully installing the HDD.  (It just doesn't show him opening it so well.

Good luck!

No comments: